Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Feeding Chickens Mangle Beets

Mangle Beets as chicken feed!!

Hey Everyone! And a happy New year to you all!
Sorry it has been a while since I posted in this blog..we went away to Arizona over the holdiays and have just this past week arrived home.
The GOOD news is..I have found a place that sells Mangle beet seeds!!!

http://www.prseeds.ca/catalogue/root.php?C=Root


This place is in Saskatchewan..and will deliver in the US also.
For those of you who don't already know...I read from another blog..that Mangle beets can be fed to livestock..INCLUDING chickens!!
So I was DETERMINED to grow some this coming year and test them on my chickens over next fall and winter...Apparently these beets can ( under ideal conditions) reach up to 15 pounds!! And their nick name is Fodder Beets!




"This picture was borrowed from the site the Deliberate Agragarian"

Apparently you just store them for winter..and shred them up the in food processor as needed..feeding them to your chickens! I like the idea of being able to grow food for my chickens..I will still give them grain of course...but supplimenting it with something I have grown just FEELS right!
Wish me luck and I will keep you posted!

Cheers!

No comments: