Thursday, November 12, 2009

Shortbread

 The Scottish Shortbread My Mum always made!

Ingredients;
1 lb salted butter
1 Cup White granulated sugar
4.5 cups white flour

Cream softened butter and sugar..( softened NOT melted)


When butter and sugar have been creamed..add flour one cup at a time..mixing almost like pastry..DO NOT OVER MIX..it makes the dough tough!


It says to roll out the dough..but to my experience that over works it..so I take a handful at a time and press it to desired thickness..then use a cookie cutter..


I usea cotton table cloth over the table top..it helps it from sticking.


I like mine about a half inch thick..This is laid on a cookie sheet that has been overed with parchment paper.  Bake are 275 degrees farhenheit..for about 15-20 minutes..like the snowball cookies..these do NOT brown with cooking...but they go gently golden on the bottom...


Now..My mother sprinkled with granulated table sugar..but I like to sift icing sugar over top...whatever you use..do it as soon as the cookies come from the oven..it sticks better that way...
Cool thoroughly before packing away!


Enjoy!
Cheers!

No comments: