Monday, January 14, 2013


Respect for Life


Something has been plaguing me for some time. 2012 seemed to be a year of enlightenment for so many people...many many more people are realizing that homesteading and prepping are not just a choice anymore...but are becoming for many..a necessary way of life.  
As you all know..we do our absolute best to raise our own meat..and have shared on video how we harvest and prepare our meats for the coming year.




 I have received a lot of negative reaction from many people, Not all of them vegetarians..I also got a lot of Positive reactions to the videos of the hatching chicks..from the incubators and from under broody hens. 


 We have talked About the possible dangers and lack of long term studies on  GMO food..and how we try to fight our way back from dependency on chemicals in our daily lives.  Why is this even a topic? Because we have been slowly indoctrinated over the last few generations to look away..
Turn our heads away from seeing what was happening to small family farms because industrial farming ( we were told) was the only way man could be fed. So we looked away and trained ourselves not to think about how the meat got to the store, not to think about HOW the produce in the store lasted longer and was bigger and prettier than we remembered as children. Now I know we have talked about it all...but what tonights topic is about..is this..RESPECT for LIFE
What I am going to say may offend some but others may nod their heads in agreement.  When we harvest an animal..be it from the wild or something we have raised. We give THANKS...Thanks to the creator and thanks to the animal for providing us with nourishment.  WHY? Because for too long we have been removed from the process of WHERE our nourishment comes from. To many people grab meat from the counter and don't think twice, that it used to be an animal..living and breathing, breeding, feeding it's young. They just look at the price tag, pop it in their cart and move on. But when we Pray over an animal and thank it for it's life and thank God for allowing us to have it.  WE are called barbarians.  So how does killing an animal for food lead to my reverence and respect for life? Because When I raise it, feed it, love it, kill it and cook it..I have completed MY part in the circle of life! When you hear the words..the circle ( or cycle) of life..what does it mean to you? Have we as a society LOST the true meaning of life? Is this why there is so LITTLE respect for it on so MANY levels? Because if I am a barbarian because I CHOOSE to participate in the life and death of the food I eat...what does that make those who do not see beyond the price tag on the slab of cold meat on it's Styrofoam tray?
Honestly? I think That is where our society has begun to go seriously off the rails..because if you cannot participate in the life and death of your food without repugnance...do you deserve to eat it with relish?

Recently I watched a video sent to me by a friend..it was called Jamies great Italian escape..I LOVE Jamie Oliver..he works everyday to educate people in WHAT they are eating!  In this episode,  he was in LeMarche Italy and he was with a family who completely lived off the land..he was going to cook them lamb..and when handed the knife to cut it's throat..he said.." I don't know if I can do that man..no seriously..I don't know if I can kill a lamb" But he did..and he cooked it...and afterwards he said " To do that today, was pretty emotional and pretty hardcore..but you know..to be honest..as a chef that has cooked 2000 sheep I think it's only fair that you kill one..otherwise..you're just  a fake"
So to be honest..in society who's a fake and who is real? The people that FACE the reality of where their food comes from and do not flinch when the time comes to kill and cook it..(YES it IS OK to flinch) Or those who never think twice about the life that WAS..before it became the steak on their plate..because THOSE are the people that still think GMO is just a fancy hybrid...and that chemicals magically disappear once it washes into the soil with the rain. So if Wanting to be a PART of the life that sustains me, makes me a barbarian..then I say..Just Call Me MrsVolfie Cave Woman..my older son does..but when HE says it..it is with Pride!

CHEERS!

11 comments:

Countrified Hicks said...

I'm your newest follower. Hope you'll return the favor and follow my blog and/or FB fan page! Love your blog hop.
http://www.countrifiedhicks.com
http://www.facebook.com/countrifiedhicks


BTW, our blogs are similar. If you're a cave woman, guess I am too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, this weekend is pleasant designed for me, because this moment i am reading this great informative post here at my house.
Feel free to visit my website :: occasion dresses

Unknown said...

amen

Charity said...

Just found you on youtube yesterday. Have been enjoying your videos and blog. My husband and I are so much like you and yours. (My man even has the same beard!!) And I have even called myself similarily as you for years (except I'm MrsBeeKeeper). We are from BC, and are planning a homestead! My husband has been a beekeeper for 25 years, and we garden, dehydrate & can, but we need some room to breathe and raise some animals. It's in the works! Thanks for all your efforts in posting some great information!
Loves from the west coast!

Libby Sue said...

Thank you so much for all the information you so freely share! I am 56, and alone. I won't ever get to homestead, but I am doing all I can to live as naturally as I can while on the outskirts of a city and in an apartment. I was wondering if you could recommend a book on canning? I don't know if I am going to do pressure or just water. The canning supplies for water is cheaper. What would you recommend? Pressure cookers kinda scare me!
Lib

Unknown said...

Hello Dear,

from the comments that was negative... I say: Those how matter, don't mind and those who mind, don't matter.

I have enjoyed your videos/blogs.
You make it real and genuine. I, like you think that everyone who eat meat should at least process one animal...I have involved my older kids in the process and they now eat everything on their plates. Because it would be a great disrespect to the animal that gave it's life for them.

I have showed them videos on how laying chickens are treated, and how they are process. they changed their tunes. they are now really active in the cares of our animals. Making sure that we are giving them a good life and that they are processed with respect and dignity.

Please keep up the great work that you do...

Sincerely,

Eva-Marie Rogerson
Canada

Anonymous said...

I just found your YouTube's and now this site. I have really enjoyed them. Thank you for sharing. We have butchered with our children and so thankful they have that experience. Have to say they enjoy butchering with at least one other family with ours than just ours alone. The fellowship is always fun. We've butchered cows, pigs, chickens, and deer.
Please keep sharing. Saw your YouTube on making potato starch and got excited not only for making it but more so because I just learned that by taking the starch like this out of the potatoes it doesn't raise your blood sugar and my husband is a diabetic.
I got 2 organic turkeys for a $1 a pound. So couldn't pass that up. I usually can my broth but am going to try your broth powder. I cooked up a ham and think I will make some ham broth powder as well to try.
I love your tator tot video and potatoes are on sale this week. I haven't gotten to watch really any other videos but look forward to.
Be blessed,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I have been watching your youtube videos for some time now..I totally love them!..but I had no idea that you were from Canada!!!...wooohooo....so happy to find this out. I totally agree with you on the subject of killing our own animals...my husband and I did it for the first time with our chickens. We're saving now to buy a small homestead in New Brunswick...we currently live in Ontario...and HATE it here!!.. Keep up the awesome videos.

loves2spin said...

I completely agree with you.

Susan said...

Well put! I am a great admirer of your journey and have been wanting to comment somewhere! I see you have not posted for some time, but hope this comment gets to you.

Unknown said...

I totally agree. We have turned into a judgemental, self centered and entitled society ( I don't know if that word fits anymore.) I love watching you and Howie share your lives with us. If people judged you for the life you live, they haven't payed attention. You are so loving and giving and it shows. So keep doing what your doing!!! God Bless You and Yours