Monday, April 25, 2011

Cooking without a ready source of meat...

Tins of Tins of Tuna or Salmon? Let's make Dinner!

In these tough economic times..I know many people who supplement their groceries from their local food banks. It is a hard truth. Howard and I went shopping for something nice for Easter dinner..and the cheapest Roast of beef I could find was almost $20...for one MEAL??? No WAY! It got me thinking..I  am a frugal girl..I know how to squeeze a nickle and make it spit out another penny..and Howard makes decent money..How does anyone who makes less that $25,000 a year survive?? So tonight I made up a new recipe..Basically things that come out of your cupboard. I know ..not everyone has the ready ingredients..but you can improvise! So here is goes...And by the way? It was Delicious!!

Salmon Souffle loaf!

Ingredients

1 tin each of salmon and tuna ( and or..whatever you have)

4 slices of bread..or 2-3 cups bread crumbs
1 medium onion
3 eggs
1/4 cup Parsley ( dry is fine)
1/2 cup Mayonnaise ( NOT whipped dressing or MW)
2TBS lemon juice
salt and pepper

Crumb you bread slices and drain your fish..being sure to press out as MUCH liquid as you can!!
Finely mince the onion.
Add all the ingredients into a food processor or in a bowl and mix with a potato masher..It should come out almost like a thick paste.
Using a spatula..spread it into a buttered loaf pan.

Bake at 350 for 45 mins to an hour...
The reason I call it souffle loaf..is because it has a fluffy texture..not a LOAF ( like meatloaf) texture..But Don't let the simple ingredients fool you! It was DELICIOUS!!


As you can see by my sons plate..he likes salad dressing a LOT!!
CHEERS!

No comments: